The PC is an essential machine to work, study, communicate and even have fun in your spare time; it has been designed to function correctly at any time; from time to time it requires a little care for which you need How to perform basic maintenance on your computer? and that it continues to have the fluidity and power to which you are accustomed.
What is computer maintenance?
It is a review of its integrity, during which you clean it to prevent possible failures; taking into consideration the place where this equipment is installed, either in your home or office and the special care that you can provide when you are not using it.
No doubt you like to turn on your computer and immediately enjoy each of its resources; you feel calm when the home screen appears for you to log in; you enter your username and password; after which it presents its desktop to you in seconds, so you can start moving through each program to your liking.
But over time, useless files and registries accumulate and can slow down your computer; causing failures at the level of its operating system and even in its hardware, it is something inevitable although the solution is in your hands; which lies in periodically performing preventive maintenance, for which we leave you some recommendations.
Basic maintenance of a computer
These are tasks that you can perform in a few minutes. In this case, it is recommended that you have on hand a list with the activities that you can include in this maintenance and the frequency with which you perform them, in which case it is suggested to do it once a month:
- Empty the trash.
- Delete temporary files and caches, using the Windows tool identified as Disk Cleanup or using any other maintenance program such as CCleaner.
- Defragment the hard disk, a task that takes a little more time but that the system itself performs automatically in some cases and if it doesn’t, you can schedule it through the Windows tools.
- Check the programs that start when you turn on the computer, some of them open together with Windows and slow down this system; many of them can be harmless but also useless so you should not accumulate too many.
- Create a backup; Although the computer is never expected to crash, it could be that at any moment it crashes and you end up without access to the documents and files stored on it.
- Buy if there are updates available for your operating system, which usually include new patches and solutions to the most common vulnerabilities to date.
- Scan your computer’s disk using a good antivirus to eradicate any worm, Trojan, rootkit, ransomware or any other malware that is invading your privacy.
- Install a firewall, so you can browse the length and breadth of the internet in peace.
- As a security alternative, you can change your passwords from time to time and check how reliable your Wi-Fi network is.
To work properly, the computer not only requires internal maintenance, but this must be accompanied by some special care in its casing, to remove dust from it and verify that the heat sinks work freely, without obstructions.
At the same time, check the operation of peripherals such as the keyboard, mouse, monitor, printer, scanner or any other that you have installed.
Today there are excellent programs created to maintain a computer in a short time, among them, in addition to the aforementioned, you can use Norton Utilities Premium, Ashampoo Windows Optimizer, AVG Tuneup, IObit Advanced SystemCare or any other that fits your budget .
Each of these cleaners have free or trial versions; They have also been oriented either to eliminate potential threats introduced through the Internet or to optimize the system, eliminating everything that is not necessary.